About the job
The University of Arizona’s Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is seeking an experienced sports marketing professional for the position of Assistant Director, Social Media. This position will be responsible for results-based marketing and brand advancement of Arizona Athletics, including products or services, using digital assets such as social media channels, the official athletics website, and athletics app. They will lead the department’s overall social strategy, including identifying, crafting, distributing, and publishing content. To achieve this goal, this position will connect all digital initiatives, applications, and channels to coordinate and leverage content created by a cross-functional team for social media channels as well as other digital platforms. Areas of emphasis will be in driving engagement, conversions, traffic, and revenue through quality content, customer service, outbound marketing, and inbound marketing/customer acquisition/lead generation.
The successful candidate must be team-oriented, highly motivated, digital savvy, a self-starter and organized. This is a full-time, reporting to the Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Fan Engagement. Candidates should expect to work evenings, weekends and some holidays based on sport competition schedules.
The University’s strength in undergraduate education and scientific research is paralleled by its excellence on the playing fields, courts and other venues of its 22-sport Intercollegiate Athletic Program. The Arizona Wildcats compete in the tradition-rich Pac-12 Conference, “The Conference of Champions.” For a more comprehensive view of what makes working in our department unique, please visit our website at: www.arizonawildcats.com.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead development of social media strategy for the department on all Athletics platforms with the goal of strengthening brand affinity, increasing engagement, supporting revenue generating initiatives and providing a voice for the Arizona Athletics brand.
- Serve as liaison and maintain strong relationships with social media platforms and digital partners.
- Serve as the primary contact for the Arizona Athletics social media accounts, including creating and posting content, monitoring (comments, replies, mentions, etc.), engaging in constructive conversation, providing customer service and promoting the Arizona Athletics’ brand. Collaborate with Communications department on general department news, promotion and advancing the mission of ICA.
- Assist Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Fan Engagement to establish reporting and analytics mechanisms to be used to direct the strategy and implementation of ICA’s social strategy.
- Point for social media third party vendors including lead for INFLCR platform and Sprout Social
- Develop and maintain a social media content calendar in coordination with the Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Fan Engagement and the Associate Athletic Director for Communications.
- Work with Creative Services team to develop engaging content (GIFs, graphics, video, etc.).
- Provide expertise, leadership, and guidance to others in the department to help maximize the effectiveness of sport-specific accounts.
- Responsible for providing leadership and training on industry trends and best practices to Athletics department staff.
- Assist with the development of social media standards and policies and monitor to ensure compliance across all accounts.
- Lead the development strategy and execution to showcase the gameday experience for home athletics events to entice potential recruits and future ticket buyers.
- Recruit, train and supervise social media student interns and delegate social media assignments.
- Serve as liaison to the University’s social media lead.
- Assist in management of social media advertising and platform ad accounts.
- Manage ICA’s inbound marketing efforts which are focused on attracting qualified prospects through relevant and helpful content through channels such as search engines, enter-to-win forms, and social media with the goal of converting them into customers.
- Assist marketing team to manage Google Analytics account and provide reports on digital performance.
- Assist in management of official Arizona Athletics website and app.
- Assist in email communication; campaign creation, planning, and execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of and compliance with NCAA, Pac-12 Conference, and University of Arizona rules that relate to this position.
- Outstanding organizational skills, including a strong design sense and close attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze digital data and present reports based on results.
- Personal computer proficiency in the following applications: Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to multi-task with frequent interruptions
- Dedication and motivation to initiate, lead and support value-added projects
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivated, results-oriented, and has a positive demeanor
- Demonstrate an ability to develop and maintain positive interpersonal relations
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all organizational levels, and project a positive, professional attitude
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years of experience working in social media, marketing, digital advertising, and/or communications.
- Experience in creating content for social media (in both advance scheduling and real-time situations).
- Experience in managing multiple social media accounts on multiple platforms.
- Experience with design programs and layout (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite).
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
- 3+ years of experience working in college athletics or professional sports marketing/communications.
- Master’s Degree from accredited university.
- Personal computer experience in the following applications: Eloqua or similar email campaign software, CRM solution software, HTML, Google Analytics, Sprout Social.
FLSA Exempt Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 + nights and weekends Job FTE 1.00 Work Calendar Fiscal Job Category Athletics Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits Rate of Pay DOE Compensation Type salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE) Grade 6 Career Stream and Level PC2 Job Family Athletics Admin Job Function Athletics Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive) Number of Vacancies 1 Target Hire Date 9/1/2023 Expected End Date Contact Information for Candidates Lindsey Lessing
Open Date 8/25/2023 Open Until Filled Yes Documents Needed to Apply Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional Document Special Instructions to Applicant
Please submit Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional Document with Application. Thank you.
- Describe your knowledge of NCAA and Pac-12 Conference rules and regulations relating to academics, satisfactory progress, and eligibility.
- Please list below any experience you have had since 2015 with high school or college student-athletes. This includes working or volunteering in any capacity with a high school, AAU, sports club, junior college or 4-year institution student-athlete, athletics team or department.
- Applicants for this position are subject to the following NCAA Bylaws 11.4.2, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 11.4.3, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 11.4.4, 188.8.131.52, and 184.108.40.206. You may be asked about these Bylaws in an interview, and you may be asked to sign a future affirmation confirming the same prior to or upon your employment by The University of Arizona, if you are selected for employment. Do you understand that by submitting your application for employment you are affirming that you have read these Bylaws, and that such Bylaws would not preclude your employment by The University of Arizona?
- Are you the parent, coach, relative or guardian of a prospective student-athlete (i.e., student in 9-12 grade or 7–12 grade for men’s basketball or junior college student) in the sport of men’s basketball, women’s basketball or football or have any other type of association with any prospective student-athlete in the sports of men’s basketball, women’s basketball or football? If yes, please explain.
- Is your potential employment within the athletic department conditioned upon the enrollment of any prospective student-athlete (i.e., student in 9-12 grade, 7-12 grade for men's basketball or junior college) in the sport of men's basketball, women's basketball or football? If Yes, please explain.
- Do you understand that failure to disclose any information related to your affiliation with a prospective student-athlete (student in 9-12 grade, 7-12 grade for men's basketball or junior college) in the sports of football, men's basketball or women's basketball might render your application ineligible for consideration?
Diversity Statement At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.