Title: Business Development Senior Manager
Location: Flexible (with bi-annual meetings in Boulder, CO, and up to 20% travel)
Industry: Bicycle Industry Trade Association
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status
PeopleForBikes unites millions of Americans, thousands of businesses, and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible, and more fun. Our mission is to get more people on bikes more often and make biking better for everyone. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents more than 325 supplier members and 1.4 million individual supporters. The U.S. bicycle industry contributes $88 billion annually to the U.S. economy and supports more than 780,000 jobs. PeopleForBikes is composed of a Coalition that is the U.S. bicycle industry’s trade association and a Foundation that supports and promotes bicycling’s benefits and backs crucial bike infrastructure projects and programs. Our goal is to make the U.S. the best place in the world to ride a bike.
PeopleForBikes is hiring a Business Development Senior Manager to work on our organization’s membership and development team. The team is responsible for recruiting and retaining bicycle industry members and organizations interested in the business of bicycling, promoting sponsorships for events and programs that advance bicycling and the bicycle industry, and providing valuable resources to PeopleForBikes member companies.
The role’s primary responsibility will be to grow and maintain our membership roster, secure sponsorship revenue from current and prospective supporters, and help diversify our revenue streams with key new segments and sales opportunities. They will work to strengthen relationships with current and prospective member companies as well as representatives from organizations of all sizes — Fortune 100, start-up entrepreneurs, and local businesses — that are interested in the business of bicycling.
This person will be a key part of the membership and development team and will report directly to the Director of Membership and Industry Engagement.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in business development with exceptional fundraising or sales results and outstanding customer service with an entrepreneurial spirit. They will also be excited by the idea that their work will support a cause bigger than a sales quota. This person will help to ensure the successful future of the bicycle industry and aid PeopleForBikes in making the United States the best place in the world to ride a bike.
- Membership Development and Retention
- Research and develop relationships with business leaders and staff. Recruit and close agreements for new member companies from the bicycle industry. In addition to North America, two key markets will include Asian and European manufacturers and suppliers.
- Manage relationships with and field inquiries from current member companies to ensure annual membership renewals, sponsorships, and partnerships.
- Assist in the renewal invoicing process and accounts receivable with the member services and finance team.
- Non-Membership Development and Sales
- Solicit non-endemic partners such as automotive companies, property managers, investment firms, technology brands, and other companies to fund and sponsor initiatives.
- Secure sponsorship revenue and similar products or services.
- Sell PeopleForBikes resources to non-endemic partners (research reports, guides, consulting services, etc.).
- General Membership Team Assistance
- Serve as the main membership point of contact for internal staff, providing key insights, lists, member updates, event content ideas, event presence, cross promotions, and speaker recruitment.
- Assist the department director with budget forecasting, monitoring revenue, and developing revenue reports.
- Develop presentations for membership and sponsor solicitation.
- Field member and prospective member inquiries about subcommittees and coordinate placements.
- Maintain records in a Salesforce database, pull reports, and record organizational data from member companies and individuals.
- Assist with the coordination of PeopleForBikes events. Attend trade shows, executive meetings, conferences, and other events. This position requires approximately 20% travel.
- Assist with reports for PeopleForBikes’ board of directors, subcommittees, and staff.
- Assist with individual membership and other philanthropic fundraising tasks as needed.
- Incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion into professional work and commit to personally growing in this space.
- Other duties as assigned.
Don’t meet every requirement? No problem. Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they do, so we encourage you to apply anyway.
- Five or more years experience in sales or account management.
- Experience fielding incoming and outgoing email and phone calls.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a respect for teamwork.
- Organized, reliable, and able to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in using databases and web meeting platforms such as Zoom, Microsoft Office, Google Workspace.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Takes initiative and action and gets work done quickly.
- Strong customer service ethic and willingness to go above and beyond to help PeopleForBikes stakeholders.
- Strong networker — able to speak with people on the phone, in person, and at events for many hours.
- Strong work ethic, self-directed, and able to work independently to accomplish assigned tasks and meet critical deadlines.
- Willingness to travel to attend meetings, conferences, trainings, and site visits.
- An interest in bicycling and the outdoor recreation industry.
- A commitment to safe, healthy, reliable, and affordable access to bicycling for all members of a community.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways in which an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
- Our office is ADA accessible. This role will require the use of a laptop for several hours and the ability to travel and work for several hours in event spaces.
- Experience in the bicycle industry, trade associations, selling business service tools (like advertising, technology, or marketing), or non-profit development.
- Experience working with C-suite corporate executives and department leaders.
- Database administration. Salesforce experience preferred.
- Nonprofit development experience.
- Bicycle, health and wellness, or sports industry experience.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at-will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience of $75,000 - $90,000. The salary may be adjusted based on the education and experience of the final candidate. PeopleForBikes offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package, including paid health insurance for employees, a generous paid-time-off (PTO) policy including 23 days plus federal holidays, paid parental leave, a flexible work schedule including work-from-home options, and optional participation in a deferred compensation retirement plan with immediate vesting of a competitive employer match. In addition, we provide long-term disability insurance, a cell phone plan, and a laptop computer along with many other benefits like industry discounts. As icing on the cake, PeopleForBikes also pays you to ride your bike.
At PeopleForBikes, our agreed-upon set of team norms are what drives us to do our best every day we show up to work. Our core purpose is to make life great and our core values are: put others first, include everyone, and it can always be better. We’ll talk more in the interview process about what these mean, but for now, know that we continually strive to build and strengthen our team, we work together effectively to serve our mission, and we have fun. Beyond that, we’re casual, we work flexibly with remote work allowed, and we really love dogs. You don’t have to be an amazing bike rider to work here — what matters to us is a desire to work alongside passionate people improving the world through bikes (and hopefully you love bikes too).
PeopleForBikes is based in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. As Boulder is part of the Denver metro area, we require the candidate to be located in the Denver metro area and be in the office about 1-2 days per week depending on office needs.
- Interested candidates should apply here. Please submit your application by February 15 for priority consideration. You will be contacted by a PeopleForBikes team member if your application is selected to move on to the next round.
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone or in-person inquiries.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable, and more accessible places for everyone to bike starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce. You can find more on our hiring page here. We want our staff to be reflective of the backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the communities we serve and to create an inclusive work environment where employees and the communities we serve feel welcomed, valued, respected, and received. We believe that no matter who you are, where you're from, or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle.