About the job
Position Profile: Legends & Alumni Relations Manager
Department: Community Outreach
Reports to: Director, Community Outreach
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Chiefs are seeking a Legends & Alumni Manager to lead the engagement strategy for the Legends community and oversee the day-to-day operations of all Legends communication, activations and special events. The role will be responsible for managing the development, planning and execution of all Legends initiatives and projects and will work with internal and external stakeholders to achieve organizational goals. Additional support, including around event planning, will be required for organization and Hunt family community-based priorities and initiatives. Communication, adaptability, innovation, and strategic thinking are all important elements within this position.
Chiefs Legends Community
- Develop engagement strategies to effectively build relationships and communication processes across multi-generational Legends community.
- Maintain regular communication with Legends via direct contact, email or newsletter campaigns, and events. Includes managing incoming and outgoing email, mail and phone communication with the Legends community.
- Ensure alignment across all internal departments related to Chiefs Legends community including Public Relations, Marketing, Content, Partnership, Community Activations and Charitable Giving.
- Ensure the existence of a comprehensive and accurate Legends database, as well as personal information provided by Legends is handled in a professional and confidential manner.
- Develop personal and professional relationships based on credibility, trust, effective communication, and respect to effectively assess former player needs, establish programming objectives, and maximize participation in and effectiveness of Legends development and engagement initiatives.
- When applicable, support Chiefs Legends community in personal community focused activations and activities that are coordinated with Chiefs and/or NFL Leaguewide charitable efforts.
- Manage Legends Seasonal Assistant and provide ancillary support to the Kansas City Ambassadors 501c3 organization.
- Events and Appearances
- Plan and execute Legends weekend festivities and Chiefs Hall of Fame inductions.
- Lead Chiefs representative to coordinate any Pro Football Hall of Fame activities in the years where applicable.
- Track and coordinate any appearance requests for the Chiefs Legends community from both internal (Corporate Partnerships, Marketing, Arrowhead Events, etc.) and external groups.
- Establish standard for best practices for all Legends appearances and events.
- Collaborate with the National Football League on “Legends Program” opportunities, programs, and resources.
- Work closely with social media and communications team to ensure impactful social media coverage of priority Legends activations.
- Attend all KC Ambassadors monthly meetings, Gala, Golf Tournament, Holiday Party, and provide support when needed.
- Player Transition/Wellness/Development
- Collaborate closely with player engagement department and assist players in the transition out of the organization and the NFL (when retiring or considering to transition).
- Provide players with information regarding the (NFL/NFLPA) Transition Programming and benefits and assist with applications if necessary.
- Work in close partnership with the team clinician(s) on establishing a team’s Legends wellness program, including but not limited to clinician referrals, development and implementation of resources and services, and overall mental health innovation within the transitioning journey.
- Consistently and effectively respond to personal issues with empathy and refer Legends and their families to qualified resources for assistance when appropriate.
- Provide proactive mentoring, crisis intervention, encouragement, and creative problem solving for former players and their eco-system.
- Collaborate with player engagement to create opportunities for Legends to engage with active players.
- Assist community relations department in selecting and recruiting former players for team and league philanthropic programs and events as needed.
- Provide additional assistance as needed to the Community Outreach department and support community focused community efforts across the organization.
- Provide game day support for Community Outreach activations and initiatives.
- Assist other departments for organizational wide community outreach and business initiative objectives (including but not limited to activations such as the Chiefs Kickoff Luncheon, Red Friday, 101 Awards, Fantasy Camp, etc.)
- 40 hours per week and events/game days, including some nights and weekends.
- Light office duties and activities.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- 5-7 years of previous experience within a similar role(s) including community, sports, or entertainment.
- Strong interpersonal skills including in-person, by phone and with written communication.
- Proven track record leading events or activations in the sports or entertainment fields and effectively managing budgets.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office software applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other database management software.
- Qualified candidates must possess superior organizational skills and be able to function in a fast-paced, multi-task setting.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and handle simultaneous projects.
- Emphasis will be placed on candidates which are respectful and discreet with information of a proprietary and sensitive manner.