Angel City is building a world-class organization to support its ambitions to redefine sports and entertainment. Our vision is to create engaging and unique content across multiple platforms to bring the purpose-driven mission of this Club to the world.
We are stronger together, have more impact together, and have more fun together!
We are looking for an experienced Controller to manage all aspects of company accounting, including corporate accounting, financial reporting, actuals to budget preparation, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures. The Controller will report directly to the Company’s Head of Finance and Accounting and will be an integral part of the Company’s senior leadership team.
As a Controller, you’ll oversee the company’s books and records, spearhead the development of internal financial controls, policies, and procedures, and assist with providing transparency into the financial status. To be successful in this role, you should have in-depth knowledge of GAAP, experience managing all or a portion of a company’s accounting function - particularly in a dynamic and growing environment, experience managing people, and be comfortable with shifting priorities in a dynamic and growing company setting. CPA is preferred but not required, depending on relevant professional experience. Public Accounting experience is strongly preferred.
- Manage all accounting operations including but not limited to the G/L, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting, Revenue Recognition, Billing, A/R, A/P
- Inventory, refine, and revise the company’s G/L accounts to conform to management’s preferred means of viewing the business and the company’s working financial model
- Work with the Head of Finance and Accounting to ensure actuals are integrated into the company’s working financial model
- Oversee the company’s outsourced accounting team to prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Oversee the company’s outsourced accounting team in its month-end and year-end close process
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of actuals to budget reports for all departments, including report variances
- Organize and maintain the company’s financial records, including ongoing financial statements, inventory valuation, depreciation schedules, team and front office payroll, league salary cap, game and event revenues and expenses, deferred revenues, AR/AP schedules, and accrued liabilities
- Develop and propose a staffing plan for the company’s accounting functions, including day-to-day accounting, AP/AR, monthly close, cash movement and record-keeping
- Work with the Head of Finance and Accounting to develop and document financial and accounting policies and procedures, including expense and reimbursement policies, a finance and accounting calendar, settlement procedures, and contract approvals
- Manage the day-to-day and ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting performed by the company’s third-party accounting firm
- Work with the company’s Head of Operations to manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Oversee and administer the company’s various bank accounts
- Perform ad-hoc research on technical accounting issues for compliance
- Additional controller duties as necessary
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Financial Controller or Senior Accountant with significant management duties
- 7+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Academic degree in Accounting
- CPA or CMA preferred
- Big Four Public Accounting experience preferred
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Excellent accounting software user (the company utilizes Quickbooks) and experience with other tangential accounting/administrative systems (the company utilizes Expensify, ApprovalMax and BillPay among others)
- Sports and entertainment experience is a plus but not required
- Prioritizing local candidates
ACFC Perks & Benefits
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Flexible PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Snacks and beverages
- Dog-Friendly HQ in Santa Monica
- Complimentary tickets to home games
- Bi-annual performance reviews
In addition to the benefits above, this role has a pay range between $160k to $185k.
Angel City believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us who we are; welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proudly building an inclusive Angel City team.
$160k to $185k