The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) is the top professional women's soccer league in the USA, with 12 teams and 300+ of the best soccer players globally. In just its 11th season, the league continues to grow exponentially: In 2022, the NWSL shattered all-time fan attendance records, more than two dozen markets expressed demand for expansion teams, valuations of teams multiplied by double digits, several new C-suite executives were hired, and the league continues to receive unprecedented interest from sponsors and media partners alike. The future of the NWSL has never looked brighter.
Reporting directly to the VP, Finance, the Director, Operations Finance, will play a crucial role providing accurate financial analysis, forecasting, and strategic insight to support our business. This position will be responsible for leading payroll operations including the oversite of the payroll process for league office staff and players. The Director, Operations Finance position requires strong communication skills to collaborate and work cross-functionally across the NWSL.
- Lead the annual budgeting and forecasting processes, ensuring alignment with the NWSL strategic objectives.
- Work collaboratively with department leads to fully understand their strategy and support their financial goals and objectives.
- Lead payroll operations including managing, providing guidance, coaching, and support to the payroll team.
- Oversee the accurate and timely processing of payroll for NWSL players and NWSL office staff on a biweekly basis.
- Prepare periodic reports required under the league's collective bargaining agreement.
- Review related journal entries for the payroll, match officials and soccer operations.
- Provide in-depth financial analysis to identify trends, opportunities, and potential risks and provide actionable insights to senior management.
- Conduct scenario analysis and sensitivity modeling to support decision-making.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, and continuous improvement.
- Set clear goals and objectives for the team and monitor progress.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university required.
- 8+ years of experience
- Strong understanding of financial modeling, forecasting techniques, and budgeting processes.
- Experience in payroll management.
- Knowledge of payroll regulations and tax compliance.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and execute without close supervision.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to maintain strong 'customer service' and follow-up with all partner requests.
- Ability to deliver high quality work and execute under pressure/deadlines.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours in non-traditional settings within a professional sports atmosphere.
- Has a strong professional and positive presence/image that represents the league both internally and externally.
- Guided by strong moral and ethical principles.
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer is a plus.
- Communicates in a direct, open, and honest manner.
- Accountable for actions/decisions and does not make excuses.
- Seeks feedback.
Salary: $110,000 -$150,000/year (Total Compensation)
NWSL salaries are contingent upon candidates' qualifications, functional business needs, and market financials.
NWSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee's race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
$110,000 -$150,000/year (Total Compensation)