National Women's Soccer League
Director of Broadcast Operations
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) is the top professional women's soccer league in the USA, with 14 teams and +300 of the best soccer players globally. In its 11th season, the league continues to grow exponentially. The NWSL is shattering all-time fan attendance records, as the #1 highest momentum sports league, with the first-half of the 2023 season average game attendance up by 48%, viewership up by 21% (regular season total viewers), while our social presence soars to a 233% increase on video views across major platforms. In November 2023, the NWSL made history in announcing a 4-year deal as the biggest deal in women's professional sports with 4 new broadcast partners for the 2024 season: Amazon Prime Video, CBS, ESPN and Scripps/Ion and are creating a new Direct-To-Consumer platform.
Position Description: The Director of Broadcast Operations reporting to the SVP, Broadcast plays a crucial role in the NWSL's success to deliver compelling and quality broadcast of games across digital and linear partners to NWSL fans. The successful candidate will be responsible for end-to-end management of logistics involved in live game production.
The successful candidate in this highly visible and collaborative role will be charged with helping grow League's relevance nationally and globally by helping deliver and execute 240+ live NWSL games. They will be measured by live game ratings/reach, sentiment, budget management, and broadcast production quality.
With fans of NWSL teams growing at an unprecedented rate the Director of Broadcast Operations is a unique opportunity for a dynamic leader to bring their skills to the NWSL and help shape the future of the sport.
- Manages the broadcast operations required in the execution of the day-to-day acquisition, production, and delivery of all NWSL broadcasts.
- Works with the various departments at the NWSL and our technical vendors in support of game broadcast initiatives including Broadcast Engineering, Production, Broadcasting and Soccer Operations.
- Support day to day interaction with vendors and Partner networks providing master control engineers, facilities and transmission for all NWSL National and Direct-to-Consumer broadcast productions.
- Develop processes and workflows surrounding daily operations including Media Asset Management System, club and team live highlight feeds.
- Serve as primary contact for International Media Partner broadcast scheduling, live feeds, re-feeds, VOD and technical support alongside the broadcast technical vendor.
- Create broadcast & logistical schedules for use by internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with NWSL clubs and vendors to ensure successful technical execution and delivery of broadcasts.
- On occasion, lead remote broadcast operations and liaison for NWSL at on-site national broadcasts.
- Manage budgets and guide production on costs.
- You have 8+ years of demonstrated hands-on live sports or entertainment production experience
- Knowledge of IATSE/Union crewing rules in local markets
- You are innovative and tuned into the latest technology and tools in broadcast innovation
- You are known for creating strong partnerships with crews, ensuring their success
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with cross functional broadcast agencies and partners
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- You have an insatiable curiosity and have a "learn it all" approach. Ideally you are forward-thinking and boundary pushing. You're more comfortable asking "why not?" vs just saying "no".
- You're genuinely excited about the sport of soccer and feel energized at the thought of bringing the NWSL games to life across 4 broadcast networks
What we offer:
- An incredible inclusive culture that is committed to diversity.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Mental health benefits for employees and dependents.
- FSA for employees and dependents.
- Commuter benefits.
- Short and Long-term disability and life insurance paid by the company.
- Unlimited paid time off, sick days and end of the year office closure.
- 401k with employer match, safe harbor contributions from the company in addition to the employer match.
- Voluntary pet insurance.
- Hybrid work schedule.
Salary: Estimate $110-130K - Bonus eligible based on performance
NWSL salaries are contingent upon candidates' qualifications, functional business needs, and market financials.
NWSL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee's race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.