About the job
The USGA is a mission-based nonprofit organization whose purpose is to unify the game, showcase the best talent in golf, provide impartial governance and advance our impact on critical issues such as sustainability, accessibility and inclusion. We conduct the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women’s Open and 13 other national championships at America’s iconic golf venues. The USGA’s headquarters is located in Liberty Corner, N.J., with a new satellite Golf House Pinehurst campus scheduled to open in Dec. 2023. For more, visit usga.org.
About this role:
- Under the direct supervision of the Senior Director, U.S. Open Championships, the Director oversees the planning, organization, and execution of accommodations management, host club, neighbor and community relations, parking and transportation logistics, public safety, volunteer services, and will collaborate closely with the Operations team on the championship facility layout and other operational logistics. The Director is responsible for the management of the onsite Championship Office staff. The Director will assist with other organizational and departmental planning efforts and initiatives, including but not limited to: Admissions, Broadcast, Communications, Finance, Hospitality, Human Resources, Legal, Marketing, Merchandise, Partnerships, Player Services, and Security.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the onsite day-to-day Championship Office team and functions including the development of timelines, parking, transportation, and public safety plans, sourcing of accommodation needs, oversight of the volunteer program, contracting of necessary championship vendors, financial forecasting, and assisting with other organizational and strategic initiatives with the championship. Collaborate closely with various USGA departments to further elevate championship initiatives and planning objectives, including but not limited to hospitality planning, communications and media support, legal and contracting processes, enhancing the player services, marketing, and partnership experiences, and assisting with financial projections; Support other USGA Championships when tasked.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the parking, transportation, and traffic plan for the championship, including contracting for necessary parking areas, cultivating relationships and coordinating with local authorities, and the selection and management of all short/long-term parking and transportation affiliated vendors.
- Serve as a primary contact with law enforcement and private security partners by assisting them with the planning and execution of their duties; Explore and implement new strategies to improve best practices in an ever-changing public safety landscape; Oversee the development of the private security, fire suppression, first-aid, and emergency medical plans.
- Work with the Senior Director, U.S. Open Championships in the development and management of key host club, governmental, and local community/neighbor relationships; Maintain effective communications with relevant stakeholder groups and assist with securing all necessary championship support; Develop a strong working relationship with host club leadership and staff to set realistic expectations for the championship and communicate effectively to club membership.
- Coordinate with Operations staff on the development of the championship site plan, providing accurate planning forecasts for vendor associated needs (labor, resources, materials, etc.) related to Championship Office functions, and the communication of the facility timeline and related impacts to the host club; fully detail and plan all host club staff responsibilities necessary for championship week.
- Work with the Managing & Senior Directors, U.S. Open Championships and relevant USGA Departments in the development of hospitality and ticket sales processes, including determining sales strategies, pricing, and go-to-market execution; provide assistance with USGA sales efforts, corporate previews, and championship outing days; direct the onsite Championship Office team to provide the highest level of customer service and further cultivate/foster relationships with the host club membership, corporate prospects, and active clients.
- Support Managing & Senior Directors with future site planning efforts through the planning and execution of a 4-year roadmap (timeline); Support counterparts by assuming ownership of the parking and transportation and/or public safety operations on any given year.
Where you’ll be
This position will be based at Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont, PA.
What You Bring
- 7+ years’ experience in related field required.
- Diplomatic personality and ability to lead and communicate well with a variety of people, both written and verbally.
- Ability to create and manage local relationships with host club staff, local organizing committee(s), committee chairmen, local community and government officials, corporate clients, volunteers, and vendors.
- Demonstrate ability to problem solve, think “outside the box”, able to anticipate and analyze issues and provide logical solutions.
- Ability to manage staff members through delegating tasks, ensuring task completion, and providing an atmosphere for staff members to learn and grow.
- Able to travel and work long hours, including weekends and holidays, at a fast and efficient pace.
- Strong written, budgeting, and negotiating skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sports, Business Management, or related field required.
- Proficient computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) required.
What The USGA Brings
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, including a zero-cost medical plan offered for all full-time employees
- Retirement plans, with up to 10% annual USGA contribution
- Suite of programs to promote physical, emotional, and financial well-being
- Generous bank of paid time off, plus the week between Christmas and New Years Day off
- Off-site team building events
- Professional development opportunities
The USGA is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization believes we are stronger by embracing our diverse backgrounds and perspectives, promoting equity so all teammates can excel and grow in their careers, and fostering experiences to drive inclusion in our workplace and game. Golf is a game for everyone, and you are always welcome.