The GIST is a female-founded startup that is all about leveling the playing field. We create sports content, experiences and community that are by women and for all sports fans, mainly through our free, localized 4x-weekly newsletter that gives you “the gist” of what’s going on in the sports world in an authentic, fun and female voice. Our vision is to become the go-to source for sports for underserved fans.
Since launching in July 2018, we’ve grown our community to over 600,000 GISTers across North America, have worked with brands like FanDuel, Nike and the NBA and were named to Forbes 30 Under 30 2020.
Want to join our team? We hope so. Here’s more on the Growth and Operations Winter Intern role:
Role: Winter intern, full-time, 4 month paid contract, potential to extend.
Reports into: Operations Associate and Growth Associate
Location: Remote. Candidates should be based in Canada.
You will be responsible for assisting the GIST’s Operations Associate and Growth Associate in a wide range of tasks spanning across the growth and operations functions of the business. This position will give you a full view of the business and allow you to learn about and have an impact on a fast-growing digital sports media startup.
Operations & Finance
- Pulling data and analyzing key performance indicators to help us grow and improve our business
- Supporting data analytics functions to help us understand our audience and performance of our content
- Supporting content and advertising operations for our various channels
- Supporting finance function of business such as billing and payments.
- Supporting GIST merch logistics and shipping operations
- Collaborating with our growth team to support the execution and tracking of growth channels and campaigns
- Collaborating with our content and growth team to brainstorm and develop creative and messaging for use across our digital growth channels (e.g. TikTok ads)
- Researching potential growth partners and developing cross-promotional partnerships on behalf of the GIST.
- Supporting the development and implementation of campus ambassador program.
HR and Admin
- Supporting recruiting of new team members.
- Helping to plan, book and execute team travel and experiences (i.e. BD trips, team offsites etc.)
- Providing support in additional areas and tasks as they arise (we are a startup!)
- A student (business undergrad is an asset but not required).
- Prior work experience in a corporate, sports or media environment is an asset but not required.
- Excel proficiency is a major asset.
- You’re a quick and resourceful learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, evolving startup environment.
- You’re detail-oriented and extremely organized. There’s nothing getting by you
- You’re a strong communicator, both orally and in written form.
- You enjoy working with numbers, spreadsheets and data and using them to make better decisions.
- You’re a great problem solver. You enjoy thinking creatively to come up with solutions to problems.
- You take ownership over your work and strive for excellence.
- You’re able to prioritize and multitask.
- You value hard-work and team work.
- You’re passionate about leveling the playing field.
What we offer:
- Paid internship.
- Course credit if eligible.
- Flexible hours.
- Opportunity to be part of a fast-growing, female-founded, hard-working team and work directly with the co-founders.
- Opportunity to grow into a larger role with The GIST.
- Opportunity to make a real impact: we are a small team and you will be a major part of it.
This is a paid, remote internship. If your school has a co-op program or you’re eligible for course credit, we are happy to work with them to ensure we meet the requirements.
Picking up what we’re putting down? Here’s what’s next:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “YOUR NAME – Winter Intern - 2023” with:
- Your one-page resume and cover letter
Answers to the following two questions (200 words max/question):
- What unique experience do you have that makes you competent for this role?
- Why do you want to work for The GIST?
- Scenario question: Let’s say you have the email address for the Chief Marketing Officer of your favourite brand. You have never met before. Write a short email pitch to the CMO explaining what The GIST is and how The GIST can help their brand. Your objective with this email is to secure a meeting.
Applications are due Friday, November 4th at 11:59 p.m. ET. Successful candidates will be made aware of the next steps.