About the job
Application Deadline: 9 February 2024
Department: Legal & Compliance
Employment Type: Permanent - Full Time
We govern the beautiful game and ensure it's run with transparency and integrity.
Join our team in Miami and support us on our mission.
These are your key tasks:
- The Head of Commercial Partnerships Legal is responsible for the delivery of legal services relating to FIFA's commercial partnerships, including sponsorships and marketing, establishing robust processes and the management, development, training and recruitment of department staff.
- Organisational lead for all legal and governance matters relating to FIFA's commercial partnerships activities with overall responsibility for the drafting, negotiating and advising on a broad range of commercial agreements connected with FIFA's revenue generating and other commercial activities, including FIFA's sports marketing, licensing, sports merchandising and retail activities, agency appointments and consumer promotions.
- Key point of contact for legal matters for FIFA's Partnerships and Media team, advising on all aspects of the development and conduct of FIFA's strategic sales processes, the contract management of existing partnerships, the appointment of sales agents, activations by commercial affiliates, licensees and retailers and FIFA's strategic alliances.
- Providing detailed knowledge of FIFA's rights and obligations in connection with its commercial programme, including the implementation and protection thereof; including the provision of legal and contractual input to FIFA senior commercial stakeholders and cross-divisional working groups on FIFA's existing commercial commitments and future commercial possibilities.
- Providing commercial transactional support and guidance regarding the interpretation of a range of commercial agreements, including the assessment of relevant business and strategic risks, and commercial regulatory matters.
- Overseeing the intellectual property and trade mark function within the legal team.
- Supporting the delivery of FIFA's Host City rights programme for the FIFA World Cup 2026TM.
- Management of external counsel and external legal spend.
- Providing legal and contractual support to FIFA's strategic and corporate development activities, including advising on the development of commercial strategy and structuring.
- Supporting the exploitation of commercial opportunities on FIFA+ and FIFA's other digital channels.
- Developing and maintaining FIFA's template commercial agreements.
- Supporting FIFA's subsidiaries, including the FIFA Museum, and the FIFA Foundation regarding the exploitation of commercial opportunities within FIFA's commercial framework.
- Delivering internal legal training and ad hoc advice on issues relating to FIFA's partnership related activities.
We work hard at FIFA.
We are dedicated, ambitious and innovative.
And we respect our values. Always.
For all roles, we seek talented people with an entrepreneurial spirit and a global mindset.
The specific competencies we require for this position are:
- Minimum of 10 years expertise "on the job" in the sports marketing industry in an in-house legal department or a reputable law firm focusing on sports matters
- Fully qualified to practise law (registered on the roll / admitted to the bar of an appropriate jurisdiction) having completed all necessary academic and practical training
- First class written and spoken English language skills, consistent with drafting and negotiating complex, high value and nuanced English language agreements.
- Ability to provide and communicate effectively practical and solutions-based legal advice
- Excellent understanding of the sports marketing, sports merchandising, licensing, retail, digital marketing, sponsorship, licensing, e-commerce and business intelligence industry landscapes
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, problem solving and analytical skills
- Structured, reliable, well-organised with a strong eye for detail
- Ability to lead and manage a high-performing team, fostering collaboration, driving results, and ensuring the successful achievement of organizational goals.
- Strong commercial acumen with an ability to transfer legal knowledge into commercially and operationally oriented solutions
- Proactive, with a strong sense of personal responsibility with an ability to work autonomously on a wide variety of projects
- Resilient with an ability to competently handle a large workload amid rapidly shifting priorities.
- Open-minded team player with an affinity for working within a variety of cultures and excellent communication skills
- High degree of professionalism and confident demeanour
- Ability to be a good ambassador for FIFA in all manner of external facing situations, including during contractual negotiations, external workshops and during FIFA competition-related assignments
- Ability to create, develop and maintain strong and reliable relationships with FIFA senior management as well as external legal and commercial counterparts
- Willingness to operate outside of comfort zone
- Takes initiative to reflect on how to improve and develop working styles and methods to assist the organisation and internal clients
- Native level English (or equivalent), consistent with requirement to draft and negotiate complex and nuanced English language agreements and advice.
- Proficiency in any other FIFA language (French/Spanish) is an asset but not required
- Proficient in Word / PowerPoint / Excel
- Comfortable with international travel