About the job
About The Team
The Media Relations Department is a team of seven individuals who work closely together with journalists, broadcasters, photographers, Giants team broadcasters, network radio & tv announcers, and various media outlets to obtain optimum media coverage for the organization. We provide game notes, historical and statistical information, write press releases and media advisories, handle interview and credential requests and much more to local and traveling media members and broadcasters. You will enjoy being part of an iconic franchise in the Sports world and get to experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
About The Role
The San Francisco Giants are looking for a Media Relations Intern, where you will have the unique opportunity to provide assistance to members of media and broadcasters on game days at Oracle Park. You’ll work closely with the Giants Media Relations Department to help create a great working environment for the media in one of the best press boxes in baseball. The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to work well with a team, have excellent communication skills, good time management and be available for the entire duration of the 2024 baseball season (March-October). This role reports to the Manager of Media Relations. This position will be located in the Bob Stevens Press Box in our beautiful ballpark at 24 Willie Mays Plaza in San Francisco and ends on or before October 31, 2024.
You’re Excited About This Opportunity Because…
- You get to work in a fun, fast-paced team environment and build relationships with media, broadcasters and front office staff, and the PR representatives from the visiting team.
- You will partner with the department’s Director of Broadcasting and Media Relations Assistant to provide media credentials to local media members to access Oracle Park.
- You will play a key role in answering questions in the press box and assisting media members and broadcasters with various requests.
- You will deliver game day packets to each broadcast booth prior to every home game.
- You will have a unique ability to work with every member of our small department and get the opportunity to experience each role within the department.
- Must have a flexible schedule and be available to work Giants home games at Oracle Park during the entire duration of the 2024 season (this includes working nights and weekends). Please do not apply if you are not based locally in the Bay Area from March-October.
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Great at building personal relationships with members of the department, media, broadcasters and members of the different business and baseball operations departments of the organization.
- Outstanding social and communication skills.
- Previous experience working for a sports team or with media members is a plus.
- Ability to use InDesign is preferred.
We’re Excited About You Because…
- You are an authentic, inspiring and positive team member.
- You have a bias towards action and have an inner drive and commitment to excel in the pursuit of business goals.
- You dare to take on ambitious goals, align on mutual accountability across teams, and make things happen.
$20 - $22 an hour
At the San Francisco Giants, we carefully consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, including your background and experience. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary. The hourly rate for this position will be $ 22.00 /hour.
In addition to your pay, the San Francisco Giants believe in providing a competitive total rewards package for its employees. After 60 days of employment, you may be eligible for indemnity healthcare through Healthy SF, which includes medical, dental and prescription coverage and access to Giants tickets. At the Giants, we prioritize employee wellbeing by offering dedicated mental health support, a hybrid working environment, transportation benefits, wellness programs, and paid time off including half day Fridays during the season and an extended holiday break. All benefits are subject to eligibility requirements and the terms of official plan documents which may be modified or amended from time to time.
This job posting will remain open until we have identified a robust applicant pool.
About The Giants
One of the oldest teams in Major League Baseball, the San Francisco Giants are dedicated to enriching our community through innovation and excellence on and off the field. This past decade, the organization has won three World Series Championships, made four playoff appearances and thrown four no-hitters.
Off the field, the Giants have become internationally-renowned as a host to entrepreneurial and premier entertainment events. Celebrating over 60 years in San Francisco, the organization is entrenched in the Bay Area community as the Giants work with corporate and non-profit partners to raise awareness, educate and generate interest in a variety of issues important to both their fans and the local community.
We are truly unique; we are an organization committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, innovation and teamwork and we want you and your ideas to thrive at the San Francisco Giants.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
At the Giants, we strive to foster an inclusive work environment that encompasses the rich diversity of the San Francisco Bay Area, the place we call home. We welcome all people and are committed to creating an inclusive community built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunities to excel.
Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply. If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply.
At the Giants, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition or disability, genetic condition, marital status, domestic partnership status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status and any other protected class under federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.