About the job
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About The Role
The Athletic is looking for an energetic, motivated reporter who is able to break news on a national scale, as well as conceive, report and write unique, revelatory stories. This is a national role covering women’s college basketball.
This role will be remote throughout the United States or Canada.
- Cultivate and maintain strong sources to break, confirm, advance and analyze national news
- Take readers behind-the-scenes to unearth critical details and explain what really happened around key decisions and major issues
- Ability to deliver high-level, in-the-moment stories when news dictates
- Be meticulous and thorough when sourcing stories
- Contribute on multiple platforms, including podcasts, social media, headlines and short form
- Clean, skilled writing in long, medium and short-form formats
- Tell rich, ambitious features through deep reporting and access to get beyond superficial storylines
- Balance mid- and long-term projects while delivering stories and news analysis
- Utilize a creative approach to story ideation and formats
- Understand the sport's advanced metrics and how to apply them to written work
- Develop a strong voice that can stand out from competitors
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and share information
- Connect with the audience constructively by interacting with our comments sections
- Use internal metrics to provide what readers desire
- Minimum 4+ years of relevant experience
- Established relationships with team and league staff and players across women’s college basketball
- Deep and comprehensive knowledge of players and playing styles
- Demonstrated ability to react quickly and authoritatively to league news and developments
- This is a remote position based in the United States
The annual base salary range for this role is $65,000.00 - $80,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
The annual base salary range for this role is $65,000.00 - $80,000.00 USD