Athletes Unlimited is a new model of pro sports where individuals are champions of team sports, and fans engage with and support their favorite players directly. We change the game with faster play, and new team rosters every week, delivering thrilling entertainment in which every moment counts. We provide our team of enthusiastic, collaborative innovators a next-generation workplace with unlimited PTO, competitive health insurance, professional development opportunities, and more so that we can build the future of professional sports. Are you Unlimited?
Athletes Unlimited is looking for a unique professional who keeps track of all the small details to ensure the success of a greater goal As the Vice President of Sports Operations, this person will oversee the overall planning and execution of Athletes Unlimited's leagues and serve as a strategic partner in the growth and development of the organization. The Vice President of Sports Operations will oversee a department of 5 people. This position is full-time and reports to the SVP of Finance & Operations.
The Vice President will be responsible amongst other things for the following areas:
- Oversee logistics of housing for staff and athletes
- Liaise with hotels, negotiate and coordinate contractual elements
- Assist in venue negotiations and operational coordination once venue agreement is finalized
- Help secure marketing and other support from locality
- Support Directors of Sports
- Work with the Directors of Sports and SVP of Finance and Ops to identify and vet talent that will be hired by the Directors of Sports. Talent areas include facilitators, league officials (including supervisor of officials), trainers and sports operations talent.
- Develop org charts, requirements and manage timeline of hiring
- Organize bi-weekly meetings with Directors of League Operations for cross learning opportunities
- Support Directors of Sports by creating budgets and keeping track of expenses
- Work with Directors of Sports to set up tryouts for each sport
- Prepare detailed timelines, manage execution of timelines
- Oversee load-in and load-out for each season with the external agency and internal team
- Manage Sr. Director of Sports operations, who in turn oversees Equipment and Warehouse Manager and Head Trainer.
- Supervise Manager of Player Care and Coordination
- Design and oversee the mental wellness program in collaboration with the Manager of Player Care and external consultants
- Oversee other areas such as player experience and Athletes+
- Assist in development and implementation of Health/Safety protocols (including COVID, Anti-Harassment and Other)
- Work closely with SVP of Finance and Operations and Medical Providers to Implement Health and Safety Policies as well as COVID Policies
- Serve as Internal Point Person for Complaints/Concerns from Players, Facilitators
- Assist in the development and implementation of the medical examinations as well as an ongoing plan in season.
- Responsible for strategic sourcing/procurement
- Manage and oversee the relationship with our external operations team / agency
The VP of Sports Operations will be on-site for approximately 2 weeks each of our 5 seasons or as needed. Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as the event calendar requires.
In addition to the qualifications listed below, the ideal candidate should be invigorated by the work of AU in promoting women’s sports. As a key point of contact with players and staff, this person should have a leadership style that lends to various roles in the organization.
At least 10+ years of experience in sports operations
5-7 years of people management experience, preferred
Key Competencies: leadership & development, impact focused, adaptability, project management, strong influencing skills, and high-level communication/negotiation/problem solving capabilities
Strong quantitative skills: Perform detailed comparative financial analysis and present summary findings to Executive Management in a logical, concise manner
Must have excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and good organizational and problem solving skills
This role is full-time, remote, and compensated at an annual salary of $155,000-$165,000 commensurate with experience. In addition, Athletes Unlimited is proud to offer comprehensive benefits and perks to all of our full-time employees, including:
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Generous 401(k) company match
- Stock options
- Unlimited paid time off alongside company holidays and dark days
- Professional development stipend
- Unlimited access to 1:1 coaching through TaskHuman
Athletes Unlimited is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its hiring process based on race, religion, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, pregnancy status, parental status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.